Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Tag: The Opposite Books

Hey there! The Opposite Books Tag was created by minhaestante over on YouTube.

The first book in your collection and the last book you bought

The first book I ever got to be part of my collection, that wasn't given to me in school, probably goes to Junie B. Jones is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park. My kindergarten teacher gave it to me at the end of the year and is the most important book I've ever owned. The last book I bought is the fourth book in Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series: Queen of Shadows. I am in love with this series and am so excited to read this book. Hopefully I'll get around to it on Monday.

A cheap book and an expensive book

The cheapest book I've ever payed for.... I'm not sure. I'm going to cheat a little and constrict this to the past two years. The most expensive book I've bought is A Court of Thorns and Roses. This is the first book in Sarah J. Maas' new series (reviewed here) which I bought it at full price on Barnes & Noble for $11. So worth it though! And the cheapest book I've bought is Dan Brown's Angels & Demons which I believe I spent about $0.50. This is the second book in Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code series which is amazing.

A book with a male protagonist and one with a female protagonist

Giving this question to some non YA books. One of my favorites with a female protagonist is The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne which is set during the Puritan time period and follows Hester Prynne's life after committing a grievous sin. If you haven't read it, I encourage you to do so. A book with a male protagonist goes to The Outsider which I read back in middle school. It's a fantastic book about the struggles of Ponyboy Curtis living in Oklahoma during the 1960s. This book details two weeks of his life and the issues between his gang, the greasers, and the Socs which is the rival gang. Another phenomenal book that everyone should read.

A book you read fast and one that took you long to read

Well what are we defining as fast? I got through the entire Harry Potter series in a week which I think is pretty fast. If you haven't read them, please go do so immediately. And a book that took me a long time to read goes to Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume I. It's been on my shelf for what feels like forever (probably 3 years). And it's been about 6 months since I picked it up and I am still not completely finished. It's incredibly disappointing because I love Sherlock Holmes and I really want to finish. I will hopefully finish during Christmas break.

A book with a pretty cover and one with an ugly one


Between Shades of GreyI really really like the cover of Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Septys. Despite its title, it has no relation to the Fifty Shades of Grey series at all. Between Shades of Gray is set in Lithuania in 1941 and beautifully depicts the hardships of the time through the eyes of fifteen- year- old Lina. If you really like historical fiction, I thin you'll really enjoy this one.


Pretties (Uglies, #2)




The book with the ugliest cover goes straight to Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. I am not a fan of real faces on covers, at all. And this one bothered me even more because the amount of face wasn't even- more than half of the guy's face is shown where as only half of the girls is seen. I thought it was tacky. I also didn't like the book which might also be contributing to my dislike for this  cover




A national book and an international book

A national book that I have a lot of love for goes to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. This book takes place in a futuristic American city. I don't believe we get an official location but I could be wrong. For an international book, I choose Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's set everywhere from Asia to Africa to the moon.

A thin book and a thick book

One of the thinnest book I own is by Sandra Cisnero and was required reading over the summer for my AP Spanish class. The title is La Casa En Mango Street which translates to The House on Mango Street and unfortunately I was not the biggest fan mostly because everything was from the eyes of a whiny six- year- old.
The thickest book I think I own (not including Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix)  is Dangerous Women which is a collection of short stories from various authors including George R.R. Martin, Brandon Sanderson, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and many others. It's a fantastic book all about strong female characters with none of the ridiculous "I don't realize how strong I am" crap that's becoming all too common in today's YA.

A fiction book and a non-fiction book

For a fiction book I choose Lexicon by Max Barry. I think I'll have a review of this sometime soon but let me tell you that the premise is insanely interesting: Mind control using words. No weird science, no odd machines, no terrible spells, mind control that is specific and unique to every person through common sounds and words.
And for non- fiction, the award goes to The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales. This was required reading for the people taking Psychology and I thought the title was interesting so I picked it up. It was hilarious and also very informative in a way that didn't make me feel like I was reading a boring textbook. Each of the psychological disorders had an explanatio and a short anecdote. I thought it was well crafted.

A way too romantic book and an action book

I have to be completely honest here, I rarely read romance. I don't even think one could say I read the genre on occasion. I just don't find the genre very interesting so I'm not going to choose a book from the genre that is romance. Instead, I'm going with a book that I felt the romance was unnecessary. And that title goes to The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan- I though Percy's romance to Annabeth was ridiculous and predictable.
Action books are right up my alley, I really enjoy things where there's stuff happening on every page. Dan Brown's Digital Fortress kept me on my toes and had things happening all the time. It was an intense read that really went beyond my expectations.   

A book that made you happy and one that made you sad

There are a lot of books that have made me happy but for the purpose of answering the question, I think I'll go with all of the Nancy Drew books I've ever read. What can I say, I love mystery and intrigue. And a book that made me sad is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; anyone who's read the book will understand why this book saddens my soul so.


So what about you? What books would you choose? 
I'm tagging Shouni at Through the Book Portal, Cindy at Stranger Things Have Happenedand anyone else who desires to do this tag.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Another tag! This one seems awesome.

    I think it's very ironic how the book you picked for a ugly cover is called "Pretties." And don't you go insulting my Percabeth! I will fight you.

    ReplyDelete