Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Books I'm Ashamed I Haven't Read

There are many many books out there that I haven't read and many more that I will never get the joy of reading. But there are books that everyone seems to have read, everyone but me. And here is my list.



Jane Eyre
Charlotte Brontë

I know, I know. This is a classic must read and I can't bring myself to finish it. I've started it at least three times in the past and have never made it very far. I feel the heaps of shame and hear the judgmental gasps. And to all the book gods, I give my most sincere apologies.





Wuthering Heights
Emily Brontë


I have no excuse for why I haven't read this one. The premise is immensely interesting and I'm sure I'll love it. I just haven't gotten around to reading it. Hopefully I'll get around to it by the end of the school year.




Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austin

This is another book that I've started multiple times and still can't finish. It features my favorite type of female protagonist- strong and sassy- so I have no reason for not finishing. My excuse: whenever I start, life seems to get really busy. 





The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

I'm actually really excited to read this book. Everyone I've talked to has nothing but amazing things to say about it. I'm not really sure why I haven't read, I've seen it around everywhere but never reached for it. It's narrated by Death, enough said. If you haven't read it, do better than me and go read it immediately.




Moby Dick
Herman Melville

I'm actually not ashamed I haven't read this one. I'm more ashamed that I have absolutely no interest in reading. None. Zip. Zero. People say that it's this amazing piece of American literature but I don't care.




1984
George Orwell

I love the idea of this book, Big Brother watching everything you do, it's one of my favorite types of literature and yet, I've never even opened it. I hadn't heard about this book until three years ago, but when I did, I knew I wanted to read it. There isn't even any form of excuse I can offer, I just haven't started it.



3 comments:

  1. How have you not read Pride and Prejudice??!! I'm giving you all the shame right now. Same with Jane Eyre. And the Book Thief! Honestly though, don't even bother picking up Moby Dick. It's just a hundred pages of whale description. I'm also ashamed at not having read Wuthering Heights. It does sound interesting, I just never end up picking it up. And it's the opposite with 1984, I have picked up that book so many times, I just never get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know I just gave you the Book Thief to borrow so you can read it. As for Moby Dick... It's a whale... That's about it. I read an abridged version a while back and I just remember Captain Ahab having too much of an obsession with that damn whale. I've never expressed an interest in Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice (says the girl who's constantly attempting Proust). And Wuthering Heights is on my list... Just not my do (er read) or die list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know I just gave you the Book Thief to borrow so you can read it. As for Moby Dick... It's a whale... That's about it. I read an abridged version a while back and I just remember Captain Ahab having too much of an obsession with that damn whale. I've never expressed an interest in Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice (says the girl who's constantly attempting Proust). And Wuthering Heights is on my list... Just not my do (er read) or die list.

    ReplyDelete